It’s no secret the kitchen is the heart of the home. It is where family usually collects, delicious meals are made, and where bonding time is enjoyed.
The kitchen also houses a lot of items and, due to this, is one of the largest storage areas in a home. We have seen kitchen storage needs change immensely over the last few years, from air fryers to Instant Pots to all that breadmaking equipment you acquired during 2020, there are a lot of hefty tools to store nowadays. Getting creative with your kitchen storage is essential to creating a space that is not only functional but also beautiful so your kitchen doesn’t appear over-crowded with “stuff!” From simple cabinets and drawers to well-thought-out pantries and clever storage to hide appliances and items that sit on countertops, we have created a list of our top five custom kitchen add-ons we prefer!
- Create a charging station – The kitchen seems to quickly become the organization hub for digital devices. To prevent your kitchen from being overtaken by all the cords and gadgets, keep all of the plugs, outlets, and devices out of the way by creating a charging station that can be slickly hidden behind a cabinet or in a drawer. (Tip: this is also a great method to reduce your screentime, too! Place your devices in the charging station when they’re not in use; out of sight, out of mind!)
- Conceal appliances – If you’re looking for a clean and streamlined look in your home, try adding panels to cover appliances like the dishwasher, refrigerator, or microwave. These should still be easily reached but hiding these features will help your kitchen to appear more cohesive and simplified as your appliances blend in with the rest of your cabinetry.
- Define the zones – Think in terms of prepping and cleanup zones when planning your kitchen. This not only helps create a streamlined flow to your kitchen layout, but it also helps to keep things neat and tidy. Do you really want your cleanup sink to be on the island filled with dirty dishes? Put the prep sink on the island and tuck the cleanup sink out of the way so any dirty dishes that accumulate don’t become an obvious eyesore!
- Get creative with storage – Think about the items you have a lot of that tend to fall into disarray: storage lids, pots/pans, wine, spices, etc. Make a list and let’s come up with creative ways to organize these items. Building storage racks, spice drawers, or wine cabinets within the kitchen or bar areas are all simple additions that help keep your kitchen organized!
- Light up your space – From floor to cabinetry lighting, what may seem like a relatively small detail can make a huge impact in your kitchen. Motion-sensor lights can make your spaces even easier to work in as you literally won’t have to think about a thing when you enter a room. Another option is under-mount cabinet lighting that brightens up your prep space without the shadows that can be cast from overhead lighting. Get creative with your lighting based on your needs to create a functional, beautiful space!
Ready to start creating your dream kitchen? Contact us today to get started!