Living in Northern Colorado, you have opportunities all year long to enjoy the outdoor space of your custom home. Building a custom home opens the door for unique possibilities in outdoor living areas and landscaping including features such as a custom fire feature.
Outdoor fire features are great for entertaining guests or simply relishing in the warm ambience with those you love most. Whether you’re roasting marshmallows and making s’mores with your kids or enjoying a glass of wine in front of the fire, an outdoor fireplace can add distinctive value to your home.
Options For Outdoor Fire Features
Incorporating an outdoor fire feature into the design of your custom home can be done in more ways than you might realize. At NoCO Custom Homes, many of our clients have chosen design and architecture that includes an outdoor fireplace just as we have in our personal homes. Here are just a few of our favorite options for outdoor fireplaces.
- Two Sided Fireplaces: Double sided fireplaces are designed to provide warmth and beauty to both the indoor and outdoor spaces of the home. Often incorporated between a great room and the deck, these fireplaces also help to blur the lines between two areas. Common placement of a two-sided fireplace can be seen at this home, while this one features a unique alternative where the fireplace was designed into the front courtyard of the home.
- Outdoor Fireplace: An outdoor fireplace looks and functions similar to a traditional indoor one, but it is designed to fit the outdoor space and be weather resistant. Outdoor fireplaces can be custom built into the patio or deck of the home (such as the one seen here), regardless if it is exposed or covered. They can also be purchased as a smaller portable unit for flexibility in use.
- Fire Pit: One of the most popular types of outdoor fire features is a fire pit. Like outdoor fireplaces, fire pits can be custom built into the landscaping design of the home or they can be purchased as freestanding unit. Fire pits come in a wide variety of sizes, shapes, or even styles to fit the individual style of the home itself. Propane fire pits and wood burning fire pits alike can be placed above ground on a patio like our clients did in this home or they can even be dug in-ground and placed in the yard.
- Propane Fire Tables: Fire tables are beautifully designed to provide the beauty of a fire while adding a decorative and functional component to the space. These tables typically feature a propane-fueled fire down the center surrounded by a form of tabletop space. Fire tables are often used as a focal point in an outdoor living area such as these clients chose to do in the covered deck of their home.
- Fire Bowls: Similar in design as a fire pit, a fire bowl makes a dramatic statement as an outdoor fire feature. They are portable and can easily be placed in different locations of the outdoor space. Most fire bowls are propane fueled with the fire burning from within the bowl.
- Fire Columns: Fire columns are designed similarly to a fire bowl with fire coming from the center of the feature, however they are shaped taller and thinner like a column. Fire columns are a stylish choice for smaller areas or spaces where the fire features is meant to be a decorative accent rather than a focal point.
Regardless of style, an outdoor fire feature can add both beauty and warmth to the outdoor space of your custom home.
Ready to start designing your own custom home? Contact us to get started!